Many daily eaten food items can be grown using vertical farming. Vertical Farming has many advantages including less usage of water, fertilizers and land, healthier and fresher food, less mileage travelled, no use of pesticides and herbicides and no land tillage.
Why does the world need microalgae and vertical farming?
The major drivers behind climate change are
1) Increased CO2 emissions and
2) The clearing of trees and foliage which consume CO2.
3) The burning of fossil fuels for power and transport
4) The clearing of forests for agriculture
5) Growing feed for livestock and landfill
Current forms of agriculture have an extremely low aggregate efficiency in production, for example:
- 1.3 billion head of beef cattle and milk producing cows take up about 23% landmass. They emit methane which is between 21 to 23 times more damaging to the climate than CO2
- 40% of the land used for agriculture is to grow feed for beef cattle. It takes 8 pounds of feed to create 1 pound of beef.
- 70% of the world’s water is consumed in agriculture, and 22% for industry, mainly the power industry.
As the global population grows and our food and resource requirements increase exponentially, great pressure is being put on the finite resources of the earth and its capacity to cope with the by-products of the current system of agriculture. These effects are exacerbated by the fact that more and more carbon-sequestering trees need to be cleared.
3 thoughts on “Vertical Farming”
This is exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much for these tutorials
It would be great to try this theme for my businesses
What a nice article. It keeps me reading more and more!